Asparagus Fern and Pets – [ Poisonous to Cats & Dogs? ]

Asparagus is a nutritious vegetable that is typically grown in the kitchen garden or the lawn. It is highly rich in vitamin k and is eaten as a healthy vegetable. Many plants are more nutritious for humans but are poisonous for dogs and cats, and other pet animals. Asparagus ferns can prove deadly for your pet’s life. If you have lots of indoor or outdoor plants, keep an eye on your pets when they are sniffing around.

Asparagus Ferns Toxic to Cats & Dogs?

There is research that says over 700 outdoor and indoor plants are toxic and poisonous for pet animals. This article contains essential information about the eating of asparagus ferns and its complete care by cats and dogs. Ensure to read it until the end to get complete information about your pet animals and your favorite plants.

Asparagus ferns contain the toxic agent saponin. Saponins are steroids present in asparagus ferns. They are poisonous substances for cats and dogs. And may cause severe harm to them. These conditions are mild but reach a moderate level and even higher severity which may lead to death.

Cats

If the cat or kitten rubs its paws or face or tongue on the leaves of the asparagus ferns, it would most probably get skin disease known as allergic dermatitis. In this allergic skin dermatitis, the skin gets inflamed, and blisters are formed. If your cat eats the asparagus plant berries or leaves, it will get diarrhea, vomiting, and abdominal pain.

Dogs

Similar is the condition with dogs and puppies. If they came in contact with leaves of the asparagus plant or ingested the berries, they would get similar conditions like diarrhea, vomiting, and abdominal pain. Like cats, they can also get skin rashes and inflammation.

Symptoms of Allergic Dermatitis in Cats & Dogs (after eating asparagus ferns)

  • Swelling on the skin
  • Nausea or vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Mild to severe abdominal pain
  • Blisters on skin
  • Skin rashes
  • Skin redness

Diagnosis

When you take your pet to the vet, he will do a proper checkup and then make the final diagnosis. He would do a physical check-up and ask you questions about the symptoms. Most probably, there is a chance that your vet would perform some tests of your pet to get complete information about the inside of the pet.

The high level of alanine transaminase and raised ALT shows that the animal is affected by saponin steroids because of eating or coming in contact with asparagus ferns. Get the tests done on time and consult the vet.

Treatment Given to ill Pets

  1. At the very first stage, your vet would most rinse your cat’s skin.
  2. The doctor would give cleaning procedures to the inside of your cat’s mouth.
  3. He will give intravenous liquids and fluids to cope up with the dehydration of the pet because of diarrhea and vomiting.
  4. This dehydration should be treated as a priority to make your pet healthy again.
  5. The vet may give topical treatment as a cream or lotion to apply on the skin of cats and dogs to get relief from rashes, blisters, and swelling.
  6. Make sure to take your affected animal to the vet as soon as possible to get maximum care and cure.
  7. Never ignore mild symptoms of swelling or blistering on the skin.

Taking Extra Care of Young and ill Pets

Make sure to take extra care of your puppies and kittens if you have asparagus ferns at your home because pets have a habit of sniffing everything. Take care of young pets more than your adult cats and dogs.

You should pay more attention and consideration to the ill and unhealthy pets to make sure they stay away from asparagus ferns.

FAQs

Are asparagus ferns safer to touch by animals?

There are some species of ferns that are poisonous and toxic to touch by animals. Asparagus is one of them. Both cats and dogs should not be allowed to touch asparagus ferns. Although the fruits, which are berries, are not very toxic to touch, eating and swallowing the leaves or large amounts of berries can cause abdominal disorders and skin allergies.

What part of asparagus should you not eat?

It would be best if you did not go with eating the bottom part of the asparagus plant. It is bitter in taste and stringy. You won’t be able to eat it. These characteristics of the bottom-most part of the asparagus plant are due to the accumulation of chemicals in it. It’s better to waste and not eat this part of the plant.

Can you eat old asparagus?

Asparagus is not suitable for everyone. One may get allergies by eating it. Pay special attention to old and new asparagus because old asparagus can often cause allergies and abdominal issues. It’s better to avoid and waste the expired or very old asparagus plant.

Conclusion

As a caretaker, you should be aware of all the essential details about pet animals and plants to make them safe. This article is about the asparagus fern plant and its relationship with your pet animals, especially cats and dogs. Ensure your pets are not allowed to visit your garden or kitchen garden where you have grown asparagus.

Read from top to bottom to know all the vital information and precautions you should take while keeping both asparagus plants and pets. Ensure to read and understand thoroughly to be aware of all the negative impacts that asparagus can cause to your pet. If you have pets in your home, it’s ultimately your responsibility to keep them safe and healthy from asparagus and other poisonous or toxic plants to avoid any health issues in them.